Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Breaking the Ice

Being that this is my first 'official' blog you would think I have loads to say. Not the case, actually. I should introduce myself, explain my agenda and try to convince you that the world needs changing in many aspects but essentially it's ok, just the way it is. I know that sounds dichotomic, but it should, as I am a man of dualities. I like finely rendered drawings, chock full of detail but I am at heart a lazy man and lose interest almost half-way through creating such renderings. I have more unfinished works in my trophy case than completed ones.

That said, I am making it a mission to change that.

As far as my drawing style is concerned, I am currently exploring the chiaroscuro look in my art. While I like what it is capable of, am finding holes in it as my preferred choice. I don't think I will ever settle on one art style. To me, at any rate, settling for one style was akin to giving up the learning process. I know that even with that lovely style, the artist has innumerable ways to modify it to fit his self expression, I just hate ruts.

I am the kind of artist that walks just a little ahead of the group, (or maybe behind it would be better described) looking at the stuff that others glanced over and discarded.

The hardest thing I have come across so far in my journey as an artist is that I think it faster than I can draw it. I have tons of junk in my head, but the output is limited by the funnel of my drawing hand and how fast it can move. That has been the bane of my existance at times.

As of this bog, my published works total 2. Both of them art for another writer (Erik Hendrix) and published in anthologies for free. Not a glowing resume, but I have said it before and will say it again, "For an artist, the resume is worthless. Show the portfolio if you want to tell people who you are." So I stick to the gun that it's not where you are printed, rather than WHAT you have printed.

I have ideas in my head now of grand tales, full of epic characters and earth shaking struggles. I also have the mundane image of an old couple sharing a cup of coffee as they venture outside their house for the first time in years. It's funny that both should find firm fertile soil in my mind, but to me it actually seems normal.

I really pity those who don't see the world through an artist's eyes at times. I suppose they must feel the world is a cold empty place. You would think that would place an incredible burden on my shoulders. The responsibility of creating a work that opens a doorway into my world for them to look into feels oppressive at times. When it is juxtaposed with the look I see in someone who gets it though, that makes all the trial and tribulation worthwhile.
--rog--

No comments:

Post a Comment